Saturday, January 31, 2009

Blackberry Pickers at Ladysmith 2001

When I was on Vancouver Island in late September 2001 I visited a park in the town of Ladysmith. An opening adjacent to some of the pines revealed a couple of acres of the blackberry bush. Their long and thorny canes grabbed and made tearing sounds at my clothes as I brushed by with my painting things in hand. I found a place soon after and began to paint this oil. Late in the morning berry pickers showed up with buckets which they began to fill up; they'd be part of this composition now. From the forest two playful chipmunks showed up and like tight-rope walkers entertained me. They avoided the thorns and with their little paws held those dark purple fruit and munched away. The robins and wrens naturally didn't want to lose out; as they'd want to have their fill too. I never forgot the sweet smell of the ripening blackberry which permeated this area of the park and my clothes.

No comments: