Saturday, November 8, 2008

Bald-Eagle Family 2008

Throughout the years, many of my painting outtings have been so fun and wonderful. I know many people have lots of stories like myself about wildlife, especially the animals visiting them while they're painting. During the completion of this wild rose composition, the sea breeze was so invigorating and it's amazing the amount of grasses, seeds, pollen, insects and even leaves that stuck to this oil. The larger particles are picked out and the seeds and small air borne ones which stick, just become another ingredient to the pigment; it became grit and added to the teeth of the painting surface. As I leaned back against a straggly, tall fir, large tail and primary feathers, tawny and pale brown fluttered down upon me and stuck to the canvas. Big and beautiful specimens which one could have used as a quill pen, dipping into a well of ink and making an interesting ink drawing; or even perhaps stylized paint brushes. Above me two adult bald eagles were training their large fledged brood on how to master flight. The young just watched and hopped off the branch at the right moment when the wind gusted. They played with distorting their tail and wing feathers, and shifting their bodies like a hang glider. They all rested, played, preened, and I happily gathered more feathers. I've heard they possess mystical powers and bring strength to the lucky recipient. I've made lovely dreamcatchers as unique gifts, which I embellished with a cedar hoop. I then would weave leather to represent a spidersweb to capture your dreams. Adornment of shells, beeds, turquoise, and below the eagle feather which I hope brings strength and protection to my family and friends.

No comments: