Saturday, June 27, 2009

Winter at Lupin Creek 1995

When I went to Vancouver Island in the winter of 1995, I stopped off at Strathcona Provincial Park. I've known about Lupin Creek and the snow was wet, sticky and waist deep in some of the drifts. The accumulation of snow along the banks of this beautiful creek never stopped me from venturing over it and down to the creek side. This oil painting was done quickly. As it was cold and with the wind picking up, became much colder with the wind chill. I'm pleased with this painting and feel it has expressive energy. In the clear and reflective waters they contained lots of leaf material. At Spring and Summer one can find salamanders, frogs, small crayfish, and salmon fry. The surrounding forest has all the visitors from the stellar blue jays, redheaded woodpeckers, owls, and the songbirds all sweetly singing high-up in the oaks and maple trees. Eventually the waters of the creek cascade over Lupin Falls.

No comments: